Built in 1860, the Red Castle is Nevada City’s earliest surviving brick home. The four story Gothic Revival mansion, located on Prospect Hill, overlooks Nevada City. A near ruin in the mid-twentieth century, it was restored in 1963.
It operated as a popular bed and breakfast inn for over 50 years, one of the earliest in the gold country. In 2011 Fodor’s described the inn as:
"a special place for those who appreciate the finer points of Victorian interior design. Its brick exterior is trimmed with white-icicle wood-work. … Handsome antique furnishings and Oriental rugs decorate the rooms.”
In 2014 the owners and innkeepers, Mary Louise and Conley Weaver, retired and closed the Inn. A disappointment to many regular guests who stayed there over the years.